(Please pass this information on if doesn’t pertain to you, it is important. For FaceBook users, press the “share” button.)
Knowledge is Power!
As we continue to deal with all of the water that was dumped in our state of South Carolina, there is a lot to do to get our lives back in order. We were very blessed, and did not have any flood damage to our homes or to our office building. We also know that many have been greatly effected across South Carolina . Before we go any further, we want you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Because there is so much work to be done, many “out of state” contractors are heading our way. Many have good intentions. They want to be of service. When dealing with water damage, time is of the essence. However, don’t get in so much of a rush that you fail to see the warning signs. There are unscrupulous contractors out there who will take advantage of you!
Most of us at Arctic Air were here for Hurricane Hugo in 1989. We saw many wonderful people from other states come to help with the clean up. We also saw many unscrupulous contractors take advantage of our neighbors. As we were thinking about how we could help our friends, family and neighbors, we thought we could offer some knowledge. Knowledge is power!
Whether you are hiring a water damage company, a general contractor, a specialty contractor, an heating and air contractor, a interior remodeling contractor, etc., you need to know how to protect yourself from being scammed! So, we have put together some information to help you.
Don’t be SCAMMED!
We called Krista and Dan Hassell, owners of Quality Contractor Services, LLC located in Summerville SC (QCS Facebook Page), to get their thoughts on this situation. Krista and Dan confirmed that this is a major issue that homeowners are going to face throughout South Carolina. They emailed us and gave us a brief list of recommendations for homeowners. Here is that list…
- – Make sure you are hiring a contractor with the proper licensing and insurance.
- – Ask if your contractor utilizes subs and are those subs insured and licensed.
- – Ask about a labor warranty.
- – Make sure your contractor is local and will be here for the long haul. If there are problems with the workmanship, you may have to hire someone else to fix the problem. This usually makes the job much more expensive.
Quality Contractor Services, LLC is a local interior remodeling company that is licensed and insured. They specialize in tile, hardwood floors, showers and more! If it is inside your home, they are the people to call. For a free estimate call 843-901-5709 or visit their website: www.qualitycontratorservicesllc.net.
Arctic Air, Inc., located in Summerville SC, has been in business since 1993 (22 years at the time of this blog). We hold our Mechanical License in the state of South Carolina, we are insured, and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
John and Valarie Morton, owner’s of Arctic Air, Inc., recommended these tips:
- – Do some research. Ask others about their experience with the contractor that you are about to hire. Did they arrive on time? Did they complete the job? Were they on budget, or did they have to ask for more money?
- – Do a web search. Look at the various different rating sites (ie, GOOGLE, YELP, BBB, etc). Are others having a good or bad experience with the company?
- – How long have they been in business? New companies are forming, however you will want to consider choosing a business that has a record and reputation that you can check out.
- – As mentioned before, Are they qualified? Do they have the appropriate License to do the work? Is that license current?
- – If there are problems with the job, how will they handle those (especially, if they are out of state contractors)?
- – If the deal seems like it is too good to be true, then, it probably is.
Cheapest … May Not Be The Best Choice
The Federal Trade Commission says that you should “get written estimates from several firms, keeping in mind the lowest bidder may not be the best choice”. Often times, we are allured by the sweet smell of a cheap price. Unfortunately, many have been taken by these con artists. Don’t be afraid to ask a company to explain why their price may be higher or lower. Many unscrupulous companies/individuals will cut corners to get the price lower by using inferior materials, unqualified laborers, they are not insured, they don’t pay tax to the appropriate government agencies, or they are hoping that you will give them cash (and you will never see them again).
Whether you get 1, 5, 10 or 100 quotes, you have to do a gut check. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t.
Don’t give up
As we have stated before, you are in our prayers. We know that this is a difficult time. Don’t give up. You can get through this with the help of friends, family and neighbors.
If you have any problems or questions about your air conditioning / heating, please give us a call 843-821-0937.
We hope that this information will help you find great local, qualified companies to help fix the damage that you have incurred and restore your homes!